Shahi Tukray is a decadent and classic dessert or a traditional bread pudding or bread dessert.
Shahi Tukray is a classic royal dessert made with ghee-fried bread, thickened sweetened milk, and garnished with saffron and nuts. Usually served on festive occasions like Eid ul Adha or Eid ul Fitr.
It is popularly known as shahi tukda or Shahi tukray and is similar to double ka meetha, with a difference in serving style.
Shahi Tukda VS Double ka Meetha:
There is a slight difference between the shahi tukda and double ka meetha recipes. Typically, double ka meetha involves dipping bread slices in sugar syrup before soaking it thick milk/rabdi. But in Shahi Tukray, we directly dip fried slices in thickened milk mixture.
We prefer only soaking it with rabdi/thickened sweet milk and do not like the extreme sweet it has to offer.
How to make Shahi Tukra?
I am aware that this is not the healthiest dessert, but it’s ok to indulge sometimes, especially on the festive occasions of Eid. The best part is that it can be made ahead of time. The longer you leave it, the better it gets.
3 Steps to make Shahi Tukray:
This rich and creamy dessert is easy to make and ready in minutes with three simple steps and some handy pantry staples.
- Making of sweet bread
- Making of sweetened milk mixture
- Soaking and garnishing of Bread.
1.How to make sweet Bread?
In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla essence, and sugar together. Dip in your triangle-shaped bread slices in the egg mixture. Make sure to cover the bread entirely with the mixture. In a pan, add butter/ghee, then fry your soaked bread slices on a medium-low flame from both sides until golden brown.
It is better to cut the corners of the bread while cutting in a triangle shape; it will give them a professional look.
Shahi Tukra recipe with condensed milk:
For the perfect sweetness of your fried bread, you can use the below options:
- White Sugar
- Brown sugar
- Dark brown sugar
- Condensed milk
Secret Ingredient : ‘Condensed Milk’
Condensed milk by eliminating the sugar or honey helps make the liquid more of a “batter” that will yield extra fluffy and delicious sweet fried bread.
Condensed milk is the secret ingredient! But I use this ingredient only on some special days or on cheat days, or whenever we crave an unhealthy version of bread pudding.
Milk is also an essential ingredient for a rich and creamy flavor. Milk with a higher fat content will make the batter creamier. Whole milk works great, and you can even add a little splash of cream if you want.
This sweet fried bread can also be eaten as a snack or in breakfast as a French Toast. It could also be a great lunch box item for your kids on busy weekdays.
2.Making of thickened milk / How to make Rabdi?
To make the sweetened thickened milk, all you need to do is put milk for boiling with some sugar or condensed milk and cardamom.
Once, its gets boiled, leave it on a low for half an hour or until it gets golden in color or looks thickened and reduced to half of its quantity. If it done’s look golden but looks thickened, you can add some saffron or a pinch of yellow food color to make it look more like an authentic rabdi.
Pour the hot, thickened milk mixture over the fried bread and let them soak it at room temperature.
3.Soaking & garnishing of bread:
Once your slices of bread all get soaked in milk mixture/rabri, keep them refrigerated for a couple of hours. The best part is that it can be made ahead of time. The longer you leave it, the better it gets.
The following day or an hour before serving, in a small bowl, add some thick cream, vanilla essence, and the remaining unsoaked cold milk/rabdi from the dish and beat them together. Pour this thick cream mixture over the fried bread, make sure to cover all the dishes.
Then garnish your dish with nuts of your choice; I prefer chopped pistachios and almonds with some sprinkle of saffron.
Variations in Shahi Tukda:
There are several variations for the shahi bread pudding which can be made;
Sweet Bread: For the perfect sweetness of your fried bread, you can use White Sugar Brown sugar, Dark brown sugar, Condensed milk, or Honey.
Milk Mixture/Rabdi: It can either be thickened with condensed milk or evaporated milk.
Soaking of fried bread: Dipping in sugar syrup is optional, and it can be served just by soaking it in thick rabdi.
Types of bread: There are a variety of options for the kind of bread you would like to choose for your Shahi tukra;
I usually make Shahi tukray from white Bread slices, but if you want to go towards the healthier version or want to try something different following loaves of bread can be used;
- French bread
- Brown bread
- Whole grain bread
- Cinnamon raisins bread
Is shahi tukda served hot or cold?
Only my father likes the hot version of Shahi Tukray on a chilly winter evening. You can reheat Rabdi before serving.
But on a hot day, you can refrigerate Shahi Tukda and serve cold as most family members prefer chilled shahi tukray over hot shahi tukda.
Shahi Tukray Recipe
For Sweet fried Bread:
- 6 White Bread triangle slices
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Ghee/butter for frying
For Thick Milk/Rabri:
- 1/2 litre Milk
- 2 pieces Cardamoms
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1/4 tsp yellow food color
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp Pistachios chopped
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
For Sweet fried Bread:
- In a bowl beat eggs, milk, vanilla essence and sugar together.Dip in your triangle shaped Bread slices in the egg mixture.
- In a pan add butter/ghee ,then fry your soaked bread slices on a medium low flame from both the sides until golden brown, Set it aside.
For Thick Milk /Rabri:
- In a pot ,put milk for boiling with some sugar and cardamom.
- Once, its get boiled leave it on a low for half an hour or until it gets golden in color or looks thickened and reduced to half of its quantity.
- Pour the hot thickened milk mixture over the fried bread and let them soak it at room temperature.Once your breads all get soaked in milk mixture/rabri, then keep them to refrigerate for couple of hours.
- An hour before serving , in a small bowl add some thick cream, vanilla essence along with the remaining unsoaked cold milk/rabdi from the dish and beat them together.Pour this thick cream mixture over the fried bread, make sure to cover all the dish.
- Then garnish your dish with chopped pistachios and almonds with some sprinkle of saffron.Let it cool again for an hour, then serve chilled and enjoy!
- You can also add some saffron or a pinch of yellow food color to the milk mixture, to make it looks more like an authentic rabdi.
- For making the healthy fried bread you can use Brown sugar,Dark brown sugar or Honey for the sweetness.
- The sweet fried bread can also be served directly to the kids for breakfast as a French Toast.
- It can be made ahead of time. In fact the longer you leave it, the better it gets.
- Make sure not to over soak the bread slices in egg mixture before frying the bread otherwise it will break.
- Better to cut the corners of the bread while cutting in triangle shape , it will give them a professional look.
- Ensure not to add the thick cream mixture in the hot milk otherwise it will get curd.
Did You try this recipe? Let me know in the comments or tag me on Instagram @the_cravingzone .Also please consider leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the comment section below.