Panjeeri or panjiri is a delicious, healthy, and perfect Pakistani/Indian winter snack consisting of significant warming properties best for everyone, especially for postpartum and lactating women. The combination of dry fruits, semolina, edible gum (goond), and ghee makes it a warming and healthy food.
Here is my version of the homemade Pakistani panjeeri recipe.
Table of Content:
- What is Panjeeri
- Benefits of Panjeeri
- Steps of making Panjeeri
- Ingredients you need
- Homemade Panjeeri Recipe
- Variations for this Recipe
- How to serve Panjeeri
- How to store and freeze
- Recipe card
- Pro Tips
What Is Panjeeri?
Panjeeri is a dry and sweet snack made-up of nuts, semolina, and seeds all roasted in ghee, and ground into a coarsely chopped mixture.
It is highly recommended to all those women in their postpartum phase who need healing, energy, and nourishment. Also suitable for lactating moms.
It’s not like only new moms can enjoy it, but anyone can eat or make it because of its warming properties which strengthen the body and are good for all, especially in the months of winter.
Benefits of Panjeeri;
Panjeeri is beneficial for everyone as it helps improve overall health, especially in winter and for new moms after birth.
- High in nutrition
- Strengthens body
- Soothe body aches, muscles or joints pain
- Helps lactating mothers by stimulating breast milk flow
- Helps in postpartum healing.
- Generate heat in the body
We have enough reasons to make this winter snack a part of our diet. To help you out, I am sharing an easy recipe you can pick to make healthy and tasty.
Ingredients you will need to make this Panjeeri Recipe:
You can easily find all these ingredients in a large Desi Pakistani and Indian grocery store. Or you can also order online the speciality ingredients. All you need to make this ;
Fox nuts / Puffed lotus seed (Phool makhana)
Edible gum crystals (Goond)
Cashew nuts (Kaju)
Dried melon seeds (Chaar magaz)
Fine Sugar (Bareek cheeni)
How to make Pakistani Panjeeri:
Panjeeri is very easy to make; it’s like you are roasting the whole nuts section from your pantry in ghee, then give them a little blend, and voila! it’s ready.
Steps of making Panjeeri :
- Roasting of ingredients
- Grinding the roasted ingredients
- Mixing them all together
Homemade Pakistani Panjeeri Recipe:
The best thing about making Panjeeri is that it’s very flexible and versatile. Even there doesn’t have to be an exact recipe! As we all know, nothing beats traditional and authentic recipes. Here I am sharing my family’s favourite recipe, but you can also make your own according to your preferences.
1. Roasting of Ingredients:
-In a large non-stick pan, melt 3-4 tbsp ghee on medium heat, add puffed lotus seeds(makhana), roast, remove and place them in another medium bowl.
-Again, melt 2-3tbsp ghee, add edible gum crystals(goond), fry until double in size. Then place them along with the roasted puffed seeds.
-Heat 2-3 tbsp of ghee, add cashew nuts, and roast for a few minutes or until golden brown and smells nutty, remove and place them along with the roasted ingredients.
-Repeat the same steps with almonds, pistachio, and dried melon seeds in 2-3 tbsp of melted ghee and fry for 1-2 minutes.
-Wipe your pan and add 1/2 cup pure organic ghee, melt it over medium heat, then add semolina(sooji), frequently stirring at first, and more continuously toward the end so that it roasts evenly. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until it’s fragrant. Remove from heat and place into a new large bowl.
-Add cardamom powder to the roasted semolina bowl.
2. Grinding of Roasted ingredients:
-In a food chopper, add only these roasted ingredients (puffed lotus seeds, edible gum, almonds, pistachios, cashews) and coarsely chop them and set them aside.
3. Mixing all ingredients together
In the large roasted semolina bowl, add the coarsely ground fried nuts and refined sugar, and mix them until well combined. Allow it to cool.
Variations of this recipe:
Panjeeri is so versatile and flexible for ingredients; you can add or omit them according to your taste or availability.
- When it comes to choosing the sweetener for your panjeeri recipe, so many options are available you can use brown sugar, Gurr, coconut sugar, white sugar or a blend of any of these sweeteners.
- If you want to avoid semolina(sooji), then wheat flour is the best substitution and vice versa.
- When making panjeeri for winters, kamarkas( flame of the forest) can be omitted but if you are specially making for postpartum recovery or lactating mothers then 2-3 tbsp must be added to it.
- Other great substitutions that you can include in panjeeri are coconut flakes, raisins, chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts or any other dried fruit you prefer.
- Panjeeri can also be converted into a laddoo or ball to make it look more exciting and inviting.
How to serve Panjeeri?
Panjeeri is one healthy and tasty snack that can be served directly in a bowl with a spoon and is usually eaten on its own.
It can also be served along with a glass of warm milk, especially recommended for the postpartum nutritional needs of recovering and nursing women.
How to store and freeze Panjeeri?
Panjeeri can be stored in a clean and dry glass bottle, and a big batch of panjeeri can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag for up to a month. And can also be frozen for up to 6-8 weeks. Whenever you are ready to use just thaw it at room temperature.
Other related recipes you will love:
Panjeeri- Homemade Pakistani Recipe
- 1/2 kg Ghee or as needed
- 3 cups Fox nuts / Puffed lotus seed (Phool makhana)
- 1 cup Edible gum crystals (Goond)
- 1 cup Cashew nuts (Kaju)
- 1/2 cup Pistachios (Pista)
- 1 1/2 cup Almond (Badam)
- 3/4 cup Dried melon seeds (Chaar magaz)
- 1/2 kg Semolina (Sooji)
- 1/2 kg Fine Sugar (Bareek cheeni)
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder (Elaichi powder)
- In a large non-stick pan, melt 3-4 tbsp ghee on medium heat then add puffed lotus seeds(makhanay), roast for few minutes or until light golden. Then remove and place them in another medium bowl.
- Again melt 2-3tbsp ghee, add edible gum crystals(goond), fry until crisp and double in size. Then place them along with the roasted puffed seeds.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of ghee, add cashew nuts, roast for few minutes or until golden brown and smells nutty, remove and place them along with the roasted ingredients.
- Lower the heat then melt 2-3 tbsp of ghee, add almonds and roast them for 3-4 minutes by stirring continuously, remove and place the roasted ingredients bowl.
- Heat 2-3tbsp of ghee again then add pistachio and roast them for 1 minute by stirring continuously.
- Now add dried melon seeds in 2-3 tbsp of melted ghee and fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove and place in the roasted ingredients bowl. Clean or wipe your pan with tissue.
- In food chopper, add all the above roasted ingredients and coarsely chop them and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup pure organic ghee in the previously used pan, melt it over medium heat then add semolina(sooji), stir frequently at first and more continuously toward the end so that it roasts evenly. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until its fragrant and turns golden. Remove from heat and place into the large bowl.
- Add cardamom powder in the roasted semolina bowl.
- In the large roasted semolina bowl, add the coarsely ground fried nuts and fine sugar, mix them until well combined. Allow it to cool.
- Panjeeri is ready to eat and it can be stored in an air tight container in a cool and dry place & use up till 2-3 months.
- Do not over-roast your ingredients. Make sure to handle with care, especially pistachios and semolina. Over-roasted/fried ingredients will give a bitter or burnt flavour to your panjeeri.
- Keep the heat at medium or below and be patient with it. Roast ingredients until it smells nutty or turns golden.
- When grinding your roasted nuts, try not to over-blend them otherwise your panjeeri will become powdery instead of grainy and crunchy.
- Do NOT use cooking oil in place of ghee to make panjeeri. It’s a good fat with so many benefits.
You might also like
Did You try this recipe? Let me know in the comments, or tag me on Instagram @the_cravingzone. Also, please consider leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the comment section below.