Cake Truffles are perfect bite sized treats, made with crumbled cake, mixed with frosting and coated with melted chocolate. They are also known as Cake Balls.
These Cake Truffles are super easy to make specially for the beginners, as it’s a fail proof recipe. And have endless variations, from different Cake mix to variety of frostings and with favorite chocolate coatings and sprinkles. Cake balls are the perfect dessert choice for all the Chocolate lovers.
Easy cake truffles:
Easiest and yummiest vanilla cake truffles recipe will become your favorite bite sized dessert recipe and highlights for your next party or celebration! Kids and adults both love these chocolate covered bites.
These Vanilla Cake Truffles are made with Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix which is baked, cooled and crumbled then mixed with frosting and then coated in melted milk chocolate and topped with some sprinkles, white chocolate or cocoa powder.
Difference between cake balls and cake pops:
Cake Balls: A cake ball is actually a sphere shaped bite-sized truffle, made with crumbled cake, mixed with frosting and coated with candy melts/ melted chocolate.
Cake Pops: A cake pop is actually a cake ball, only difference is the style of serving. Cake pops are styled as lollipops by inserting sticks, straws, wooden sticks or toothpicks into the cake balls.
Types of Cake truffles or cake balls :
Cake Truffles (cake balls) are of variety of types, as their are so many variations possible according to your desire and taste. But the most famous are mentioned below;
- Chocolate Truffles
- Molten lava cake balls
- Oreo truffles
- Red velvet cake balls
- Strawberry creme truffles
- Dark chocolate Truffles
- Cheesecake Truffles
- Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles
- White chocolate truffles
- Tiramisu truffles
- Pumpkin cream cheese cake balls
- Nutella truffles
- Peanut butter truffles
Cake Truffles Recipe:
These cake Truffles are super easy to make specially for the beginners, as it’s fail proof recipe. Consist of easy to follow steps and made with kitchen pantry staples.
Steps for making cake balls:
Below is the general process for making cake Truffles;
- Baked and cooled Cake.
- Homemade Frosting.
- Crumbled cake mixed with frosting.
- Roll up balls.
- Dip in chocolate.
- Decorate and Eat!
1.Vanilla cake for cake truffles:
You can use any cake mix of your choice for this recipe of cake truffles or even you can bake your own vanilla cake from scratch. But basically, as a busy mom, i personally like starting with boxed mix. With the homemade frosting, milk chocolate coating and cutest sprinkles.
Firstly, in a large bowl mix together vanilla cake mix, eggs, oil and water. And bake the cake by following directions on the box.
Once the cake is done and cooled, crumble the cake in a large bowl using your finger tips, until it reaches the fine texture. Make sure to crumble finely all the lumps and bumps otherwise your balls will not be smoothly formed.
2. Frosting for cake balls:
In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese and icing sugar until well combined.Mix together the crumbled cake and frosting with the help of wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes moist and no lumps are there.
Now for making cake balls, use truffle scoop or 1 tablespoon and take mixture in your hands and start rolling.
Once all balls are done, cover and chill for couple of hours.
3.Topping for Cake balls:
For coating cake balls, melt the chocolate in microwave or on double boiler, stir occasionally until smooth.Now remove truffles from the fridge and dip the balls into the melted chocolate coating with help of fork or toothpick to hold them. Place on wax paper to set.
Simultaneously, add sprinkles or drizzle some melted white chocolate over the cake truffles to decorate them.
Variations in cake truffles:
Their are so many variations possible according to your desire and taste. Cake balls are so versatile and easy to make. Few ideas are mentioned below, you can mix and match and can make your favorite flavor truffles.
- Cake mix: You can use any cake mix of your choice for this recipe or even you can bake your own vanilla cake from scratch.
- Topping: You can use your favorite chocolate topping. Either white, milk, dark chocolate/ candy melts etc.
- Cake pops: Converting these cake balls into cake pops is not only easy but also make the balls looks more presentable and attractive. Can also be gifted in the form of cake pop jars or bouquets etc.
- Decoration: Cake balls can be rolled in sprinkles, cocoa powder, funfetti and chopped nuts. It can also be decorated by some crumbled cake sprinkle and white or dark chocolate zigzag drizzle.
How to dip cake balls Perfectly?
Dipping the cake balls is very easy but little tricky. Use fork or toothpick to dip the balls in melted chocolate then tap lightly the fork to remove excess coating and then place on wax paper for letting it dry.
For thick chocolate coated truffles, once the first coating of chocolate dries then again dip the truffles into the melted chocolate and let it set again on wax or parachment paper.
For more professional look, remove the excess dried chocolate from the bottom of truffles with the help of knife.
Which chocolate to use for dipping the cake balls?
Firstly, make sure to use thin melted chocolate. You can melt any chocolate you prefer but just add couple of drops of coconut oil in it, to make it smooth and to help it in staying thin.
I will not recommend you to use Chocolate chips in it, as they don’t melt well and smooth.
Better to use candy melts or melting disks, because they melts so smooth and thin.
How many cake balls from one mix?
Normally 30-40 cake balls can be made from one cake mix , depending on the size of ball you are making. If you are using a truffle or cookie scoop, you can make up to 30 medium sized balls but if you are using a tablespoon than you can easily make up to 40 small cake balls.
How to store Cake balls?
These cake truffles or cake balls can easily be stored for upto a week, if kept in airtight container inside refrigerator. They can be made ahead of time and can also rest on counter top for several days.
Some More Easy desserts:
- Lotus Biscoff Lasagna
- Easy Shahi Tukray Recipe
- Cream Cheese Oreo Brownies
- Stuffed French Toast
- Cake truffles| Cake balls
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup Water
- 200 g Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar
- 300 g Milk Chocolate
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Sprinkles
- In a large bowl mix together vanilla cake mix, eggs, oil and water.
- And bake the cake by following directions on the box.
- Once the cake is done and cooled, crumble the cake in a large bowl using your finger tips, until it reaches the fine texture.
- In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese and icing sugar until well combined.
- Mix together the crumbled cake and frosting with the help of wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes moist and no lumps are there.
- Now for making cake balls, take a small scoop or 1 tbsp mixture in your hands and start rolling. Once all balls are done, cover and chill for couple of hours.
- For coating cake balls, melt the chocolate in microwave or on double boiler, stir occasionally until smooth.
- Now remove truffles from the fridge and dip the balls into the melted chocolate coating with help of fork or toothpick to hold them. Place on wax paper to set.
- Simultaneously, add sprinkles or drizzle some melted white chocolate over the cake truffles to decorate them.
- Better to cut and discard the dark and crisp edges of the cake, this will really help the balls in holding perfect round shape.
- If you wash and dry your hands in between rolling the balls, this will help you in easy and smooth rolling.
- For perfect thin and smooth melted chocolate, you can add a little amount of butter, vegetable oil or shortening to the melted chocolate depending on your desired consistency.
Do you use boxed cake mix?
Also stay connected on Instagram:
Did You try this recipe? Let me know in the comments or Tag me on Instagram @the_cravingzone or use the Hashtag #cravingzone