Afghani Kebab with Gravy is a delicious dish of succulent grilled or broiled beef meatballs in a thick and spicy sauce. It is full of fragrant Asian spices and makes a great weeknight dinner.
We often tend to make something new when it comes to one dish or family gatherings on either Eid or any other occasions. This Beef Afghani Gravy can be your perfect choice.
One pot Afghani Kebab Recipe:
The Afghani Kebab are made by seasoning ground beef and forming them into cigar shapes. After frying them until browned, the kebabs are simmered in a tomato sauce seasoned with spices. We really enjoyed this dish. It was spiced perfectly, but not too spicy for the kids .
If you are looking for a perfect meat treat for your friends or loved ones, then this recipe for Eid will be the great choice.
2 Steps Afghani Kebab with Tomato Gravy:
This recipe is so easy to put together with some handy pantry staples in just only two simple steps:
- Making of Kebab
- Making of tomato gravy
1.Making of Beef Kebab:
The Afghani Kebab are made by seasoning and chopping ground beef and forming them into cigar shapes.
I made mine a little too short and they shrunk even more during frying, so they look closer to meatballs. Try to make them about 5 inches long and an inch wide.
At this stage you can freeze these uncooked kebabs and use them later whenever you crave some meaty goodness.
Fry these cigar shaped beef kebabs in a greased pan from all the sides and set aside.
Variations in Kebabs:
There are endless possible variations in making Kebabs , kababs or kabobs , whatever you pronounce.
Types of meat in Kebabs:
If you don’t prefer beef kababs than you can use other types of mince or meat to make these kebabs with the same gravy recipe below;
- Chicken Kebabs
- Lamb Kebab
- Shrimp Kabobs
- Mutton kebabs
- Fish kebabs
Types of Kebabs:
Kebabs are various cooked meat dishes, with their origins in Middle Eastern cuisine. Many variants are popular around the world.
- Donor Kebab
- Shami Kebab
- Chapli Kebab
- Seekh Kebab
- Adana Kebab
- Shish kebab
- Kofta kebab
- Vegetable Kabobs
2.Making of Gravy:
It’s time to make the tomato gravy for your Afghani kebabs with simple and easy steps.
In your greased pan add in some oil, chopped onions, tomato puree and spices.Cook it until oil appears on top.
Then add in your cooked beef kebabs , sprinkle some green chillies and dried fenugreek leaves and simmer for couple of minutes .
Last but not least , time to give some smoke of coal.This is my forever favorite step because I feel like giving smoke to any of your dish always takes it to another level, make it more royal and rich.
What to serve with Afghani kebabs?
Variety of options are available to serve this Afghani Kebabs with tomato gravy, it goes best with following options below;
- Afghan flat bread
- Tandoori roti
Afghani Kebab Recipe
For Beef Kebab
- 5-6 Green chilies
- 2 Onion small
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Coriander
- ½ kg Beef mince
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds Roasted & crushed
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Whole spice powder
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Oil or as required
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 large Tomatoes Pureed
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Wholw spice powder
- 1/2 tsp White pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 Coal
- Green chili
- In a chopper,add green chilies,onion,coriander and chop well.
- Add beef mince,egg,cumin seeds,red chili powder,whole spice powder,salt,ginger garlic paste,chop until well combined and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease your hands with oil and make 24 kababs of equal sizes and cigar shapes.
- In frying pan,heat oil and shallow fry kababs for 2-3 minutes,set aside.
- In wok,add oil,cumin seeds,onion,ginger garlic paste,tomato pureed,red chili powder,salt,turmeric powder,whole spice powder,black pepper and white pepper powder and mix well.
- Add water and kababs,cover and cook on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- Now give the smoke of coal.
- Add Dried fenugreek leaves ,green chili,coriander and put it on simmer for 1-2 minutes and serve.
- If you don’t prefer beef kebabs than you can use other types of mince or meat to make these kebabs with the same gravy recipe.
- You can freeze the uncooked kebabs and use them on the event day by simmering them in the freshly cooked gravy.
- You can also make bbq beef skewers with these kebabs by putting them in a skewer and grill it over coal.